Thursday, March 1, 2012

FF: Asleep - C3


‘Rashmi Aunty! Hi, I baked some chocolate chocolate chip cupcakes yesterday and I brought some for you. Here you go.’ Kripa gave the plate of cupcakes to her and hugged the lady.

‘Oh thank you, Kripa. But you know I shouldn’t eat these in my age,’ Rashmi Aunty said glancing at the yummy cupcakes.

‘Aunty, if you can’t enjoy what you eat, what’s the point of life? Anyways, I won’t be able to come later today because I have so much to do! I have to go meet my friend at the hospital, go to work and start writing my book. I have finally completed my research and I know how I want it to go now.’

‘So are you going to tell me what the book is going to be about?’ Rashmi Aunty asked grabbing one of the cupcakes and moaning in satisfaction.

‘It’s going to be a hospital thriller. But beyond that, I won’t tell you anything. You’ll have to wait until my book publishes.’ Kripa smiled and grabbed a cupcake.

‘Don’t worry Kripa, your book will definitely be published. If you write half as good as you talk, your book will be a bestseller.’ Kripa smiled and said goodbye to the old lady. She glanced at the time and gasped. Why was she always late? It was 5 minutes to 11!

She ran all the way to the hospital and was panting when she finally reached his room. She saw the doctor had already started with the exercises. She went in the now-more-cheerful-room and smiled apologetically at both the doctor and the stranger.

‘Hey Doc, I’m sorry I’m late. Hey friend, ugh, I can never keep track of time. But I’m here as I told you I would. You’re getting some much needed exercise now. I think you were very athletic when you were fully conscious. A month in the hospital hasn’t damaged your physique that much. You better wake up quickly so that you don’t lose shape,’ she winked at the stranger and continued, ‘when you wake up, we’ll play some B-Ball OK?’

The doctor looked at her and had an amused smile on his face. Wow, she could talk! The stranger definitely needed some company and she was just perfect for that. The patient needed as much stimulation as he could get.

Kripa turned to the doctor and smiled at him. ‘Can I help you? I know I’ve never done anything like this before but there is always a first time for everything, right?’

The doctor looked at her earnest face and readily agreed. He showed her some exercises during the course of the hour and let her practice every so often. While she was exercising the stranger’s limbs, she continued her chatter, ‘As I told you yesterday, I love literature. So I’ve decided that every time I come by, I’ll bring something to read. Have you heard of the poet Langston Hughes? He has some amazing poetry written. I know this one by heart. It’s called Dreams. Here it goes

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

It’s very short yet very meaningful. I have so many dreams that sometimes I don’t even know what to do with them all. I want to write a great novel, open an adult literacy center, make baby blankets for preemies for mothers who can’t afford them, and so many things. I wonder what your dreams are. What is it that makes life worth living for you?’

The doctor sighed. This lady who was talking to the stranger so sincerely had some deep thoughts in her. It wasn’t common in this day and age for a young woman to think beyond herself. The doctor thought he was just being cynical and let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment