Thursday, March 1, 2012

FF: A Blue Moon Ago - Chapter 13


She went to the canteen dazed. Kunal was Kripa's and Angad's son and apparently it seemed as if Angad did not know the existence of his son. Kanan sighed. What could have possibly gone wrong in their relationship? Kripa was still in love with him. It showed in her eyes. She was trying her hardest not to care about him but she did. A lot. 


She saw Mishti, Prithvi and Nishant seated there. They all looked exhausted. Should she tell them? Although this was Kripa's personal matter, there was nothing personal in friendship. 



She walked to their table and sat down. 'Guys, I just found out something right now. I don't know if I should be saying this right now but I'm just too shocked to think.' Kanan started. They all looked at her confused. 



'What's wrong Kanan? Is everything alright? What did you find out?' Prithvi asked obviously very concerned. 



She took a deep breath. 'I found out who Kunal's father is. He is in this hospital at the moment. It seems like Kripa has not acknowledged to him that she is a doctor here and I don't think he knows about Kunal.' She said in a rush. 



They all looked at her with the are-you-crazy expression. She said, 'I'm telling the truth. He's Angad. Angad Khanna. The businessman.' 



Mishti gasped. 'Are you serious? Angad Khanna is Kunal's father? Whoa, that is a shock. How did you find out? What's up?' 



'Angad was talking to Kunal and Kripa was hiding behind curtains watching them with a tearful expression. I had always wondered why Angad used to look so familiar to me. Thinking about it, it's because of Kunal. They look really alike. I'm surprised none of us noticed.' 



'Yeah, me too. So Kripa doesn't want Angad to find out? Oh man, I don't know what she should do. I feel so bad for her and in a way for him too. He has not known his son for a decade.' Nishant added. 



'I know, it's pretty sad. I don't know what we should do either.' Their conversation continued on this topic and they tried thinking of ways how they should approach Kripa or whether they should or not at all. 



Kunal and Kripa left for home. He was so excited about his meeting with Angad, she realized. Little did he know that Angad was his father. He would find out soon enough. 



They had a dinner full of conversation. Gayatri had just returned from Pune and she was all excited seeing her daughter and grandson. She noticed that Kripa was not her usual self and that there was something nagging her. Kunal went upstairs to do his homework and mother and daughter decided to catch up. 



'What's wrong Kripa? Why do you seem to be so sad?' 



'Mama, Angad's here. His mother had an accident and she's admitted in Sanjivani. Kunal and Angad talked. Mama, am I being selfish by not telling Kunal about Angad?' Kripa asked. 



'I don't know Kripa. But if you're feeling that way, you should probably tell Kunal. I can always see questions in his eyes. I don't want you to be too late in this case.' 



'Yes Mama. I'm planning to tell him tonight so that if they meet again, Kunal can talk to him with the knowledge that the man standing opposite him is his father. I'll go tell him now. Thanks Mama. I love you.' 



'Don't worry. And I love you too.' 



Kripa went upstairs into Kunal's room. She looked at him doing his homework. 'Kunal, I need to talk to you.' 



'Yes Mama? What is it?' 



She tried breathing evenly. 'It's about your father.' With that, his eyes went wide. His mother was going to tell him about his father? 



'You know, when I was in university, I fell in love with your father. He was in love with me too. Everything was going perfect. We had it all planned out. But then everything went wrong. I don't know how or what. I don't know whose fault it was but everything went wrong.' She looked at Kunal who it seemed was trying to absorb everything so far. 



'Then I had you. Everything was perfect for me again. Kunal, I'm sure your father would have loved you. But you see, I never told him that you existed. He would have come to me and married me if he knew about you. I didn't want that to happen. He would convince me of marriage but I wanted him to marry for me, not for you. I'm sorry Pratik for being so selfish. I never told you and I never gave you a chance to understand.' She looked at her son with tears in her eyes. It seemed like he was having trouble holding them in too. 



He asked her. 'Mama, why are you telling this to me now?' 



'Because I think I've cheated you long enough. I thought you deserved to know. Aren't you going to ask me who he is?' Kripa asked. 



'I don't need to. I figured that if you wanted me to know, you'll tell me on your own.' 



'Oh Kunal. I'm so sorry for not telling you this earlier but I have to do this now. He's Angad. Angad Khanna's your father.' 



He gasped. Angad Khanna was his father? The man he was talking to today was his father? The man he was planning to fix his mother with was already his father? How could this be possible? He looked at tears falling down his mother's cheeks and he knew it was true. His mother would never lie. He didn't know how to react. He knew it had taken a lot for his mother to tell him the truth but it also hurt him that she didn't tell him earlier. Hadn't he deserved to know? Then he reminded himself, he never asked. If he would have, she would have told him. And she was crying. Her tears made her weak. It didn't matter. She was always there for him. 



Suddenly, he smiled. He now had a plan. He looked at his mother, went to her and held her hands. 'Don't worry Mama. I'm not mad at you. I can understand how hard this was for you to tell me. I love you and nothing will change that. I'm not going to tell Dad that he's my dad.' 



Kripa looked at her son and ached for him. He was going to put himself in misery for her. She knew how badly he wanted a father; and now that he had one he wouldn't go to him. She was so unfair. But he understood. Things were going to be alright after all. 



They slept in each others' arms that night. Kripa did not have the heart to go back to her room. She wanted her baby beside her. Gayatri went and checked on them, smiled and shut the door. 



Morning came soon enough. Sunlight poured through the window and the house was in chaos again. 'Mama, you know that next week I'm singing right? You better get off the hospital on Saturday or I'll never talk to you again.' He pouted. The following Saturday was a talent show in his school. He participated in that each year and was always among the top competitors. His break would begin right after the talent show. 



Kripa laughed hugging him. 'Of course I'll be there. Is that something to ask? The world's greatest to-be-singer is going to sing, how can I miss that?' Hearing that, Kunal chuckled. His mother always said that. He sobered up. 'Mama, you know Kiran right? She's going to be there.' 



Kripa tried to hide her smile. Kiran was her son's first crush. She was nine years old and was already beautiful. Kunal wanted to impress her. 'Don't worry Kunal. She'll love your singing. You're the most handsome man I've ever seen; let's see how long she can stay away from you.' 



'And that's why I love you.' He kissed his mother's forehead. His school bus honked and Kunal ran to the bus with his bag dangling in his arms. He turned and waved. 



Kripa went to the hospital in the best possible mood. She looked dazzling in a lime green Punjabi choodidar and with a wide smile on her face. 



'Kripa.' She heard. 



She turned and acknowledged him with her heart pounding. 'Angad.' 


No comments:

Post a Comment