Thursday, March 1, 2012

FF: A Blue Moon Ago - Chapter 12


Kripa woke up with a smile. Although she would ensure that Angad and Kunal never met, at least she had a chance of seeing him for some time. She sighed. Her love for him should have diminished. It shouldn't have grown as it had. He had cheated on her. But wasn't she cheating on her son by not letting him know? Didn't he have a right to know the truth? He was old enough to know everything. Just because he never asked did not mean that he didn't want to know. He wanted to know very much. And today she would tell him. He would have to make his own decisions. 


She went for a quick shower and got ready. She went to Kunal's room and woke him up with a kiss. He looked so innocent, her baby. Her courage failed her. She would not tell him today. No, she couldn't tell him yet. She would tell him, but she was too weak to tell him that now. 



She got him ready quickly and waved him bye as he went in his school bus. Then the guilt weighed on her chest. She knew she was making a mistake by not letting him know. Would she lose him by the time she told him? She wouldn't lose her son. Not yet, not ever. She would tell him the truth soon. The truth. 



She went to the hospital and checked where Angad was. He was at home. She breathed a sigh of relief. As much as she wanted to see him, she didn't want to let him know that she was here. He would find Kunal and then he would pressurize her to marry him because of their son. She wanted to marry him, but for herself. She gave herself a mental shake and asked herself what she was thinking about. They would never get married and that was that. 



She went to Naina Khanna's room to check on her. She saw that she was lying down with her eyes open. Kripa smiled. This was her son's grandmother. She walked to her. 'Good morning, Mrs. Khanna. How are you feeling now? It's so good to see you awake. Where is your daughter?'



'Good morning, Doctor. I'm feeling alright thank you. I'm surprised that I survived that accident. I would have thought it to be impossible to survive such a crash. Aaliya's just here. She went to get herself some coffee. You know my daughter?' 



'Yes ma'am. You're one of the very few lucky ones that survive such accidents. We're just glad that you're here with us today. I do know your daughter. We're friends. I better get back. I just wanted to check on you.' Kripa leaned down and kissed her forehead. Naina Khanna was surprised. The doctor was so affectionate towards her. Aaliya had some excellent friends, she decided. 



Kripa went outside before she made a fool out of herself. She was close enough to let her emotions override her. She had let her patient see how much she cared about her. And not just because she was a patient, but much more. Kripa would have never forgiven herself if her son's grandmother would not have survived. 



She was on the way to her cabin when she saw Aaliya with her coffee cup. She went towards her friend and smiled at her. 'I just met your mother and she's doing wonderfully. I'm so happy for you. She looks like a wonderful woman.' 



Aaliya hugged her. 'Thank you so much Kripa. Thank you so much for saving my Mom's life. You know she means the world to me.' 



'I know Aaliya. I know how important mothers are. When I operated on her, I didn't know she was your mother. But I knew how important she would be to someone. And it was my duty. I didn't make it happen; it was all God's will. If He says yes, then it is yes.' 



'Kripa, let's go to your cabin. I need to talk to you.' She saw her friend's serious face and led her to her cabin. On the desk was hers and Kunal's photograph. She smiled looking at her son's photograph. They both sat down. 



'Kripa, Angad saw you. He doesn't know that you're a doctor here but he saw you last night.' She moved closer to Kripa to comfort her when she realized that her friend had become stiff. 'He asked me where you were. I told him that I knew where you were but that I'd ask you if you wanted to see him. He was asking me about you before we found out about Mom's accident. So you've been on his mind for quite some time. What do you want me to tell him?' 



Kripa thought and thought but couldn't think of why he wanted to meet her. She knew he didn't know about Kunal. 'Why does he want to meet me now? The damage is done and I've moved on. I don't care what he thinks about me and I don't care about him.' Lying hurt. It hurt a lot. But she had to say that aloud so that it really did not matter. She had to convince herself. 'I don't want to see him.' Liar. You came today especially so that you could see him. 'Tell him no and to mind his own business.' Yes, he had to mind his own business. 'I'm sorry Aaliya but I don't think I want to see him.' 



'It's OK. I understand. How's my nephew?' 



They talked for a little while. After Aaliya left her cabin, Kripa was left with a dull ache in her heart. She would not think about him and would keep her to herself. Thus began a very long day for the doctors. Emergency upon emergency came by and they worked very hard. They were all sick and tired of being in the hospital and longed for some rest. Kripa went to her cabin and shut her eyes. 



After a few minutes, she heard Kunal's muffled voice talking to someone. Strange, Kunal was in the hospital and he had not come to meet her. She went to the door and saw her son. With his father. 



It seemed like they were talking in earnest. They stood in the corridor as if sharing secrets. She couldn't hear what they were talking about. 



'I want to be like you when I grow up. I used to have many role models but just last week I decided that it was eventually you I wanted to be like.' 



Angad smiled. This was one fine lad. He had his way with people. This little boy had certainly made a place in his heart. 'And what may I ask do you want to be when you grow up?' 



'I'm going to be a doctor. Just like my Mom. I think she's the best doctor and me being her son, I just have to be a doctor. I love the way she keeps on saving people's lives.' 



'Really? That sounds really impressive. Do you think you'll be able to handle the long hours and still have a life after that? Don't you think it's going to be a lot of work?' 



'Yes Sir. It will be hard work. But my Mom manages it. I live with my mother and my grandmother. Even when my mom comes from the hospital after a long day, she still sits with me and talks to me. She helps me with my homework and we talk about everything. She knows everything there is to know about me. I love my mother and I'm proud of her.' Hmmm, Kunal determined. He would be a potential candidate for his mother. Both worked hard and were proud of what they did. He would try to bring them closer somehow. 



'Seems like she's a great person. And it seems to me that you want to be like your mother and not like me.' 



'That's not the case. I want to be like both of you. You both work really hard and I think you make everyone around you happy.' 



I'll argue with you on that one, he thought. I hurt the very ones I loved. 'I'll have to meet your mother sometime. It was a pleasure talking to you Kunal. I better get going to my mother before she chews up my brain.' Father and son hugged. 



Kripa stood behind the curtains with tears in her eyes. Father and son had just hugged. Her son had just hugged his father. She would tell him tonight. She would tell him the truth tonight. She couldn't leave her son in the dark any longer. 



That was exactly how Kanan found Kripa when she was passing by Kripa's cabin; Kripa behind the curtain with tears in her eyes watching Angad and Kunal. Kanan had always wondered who Angad reminded her of. Seeing Kunal and Angad together she figured her answer. Angad always reminded her of Kunal. She looked at Kripa and then gasped. Kunal was Kripa's and Angad's son! 


No comments:

Post a Comment