Thursday, March 1, 2012

FF: Asleep - C6


‘Zaib, how do I look?’ Kripa asked twirling around slowly. She wore a snug short black dress that reached her mid-thigh. She had made her eyes smoky and mysterious and curled her hair into a fountain. She had painted her mouth a siren red and wore killer black heels. ‘Do I look hot or not? I can’t believe that I’m going out with Manek. He’s so hot! And he’s very well mannered; the chivalrous type. I think I’m going to have such an amazing time with him tonight. We’re going out to this Italian restaurant that just opened last month. Mmm, just thinking about it makes my mouth water.’

She bent down to his wheelchair and sighed. ‘It’s been so long and you still haven’t gotten up. It’s been almost three years, Zaib. Please get up. You’ve lost so much weight,’ she looked at his hollow face. He didn’t look like the man from the hospital anymore. ‘I can’t stand seeing you like this. My books are being published and I’m very successful. I just want you to wake up now. We moved to this fairy tale house almost two years ago. I thought that a change in scenery might help you, but you’re still sitting. I feel like you don’t even want to get up.’

She gave him a quick peck on his cheek and smiled, ‘I’ll keep waiting till the day you get up Zaib. I won’t lose hope on you.’ The door bell rang, she got up and smiled. ‘Well, that’s Manek. Wish me luck. And don’t wait up roomie. Nurse Aisha is here to take care of you. So you’ll be fine. If you need anything, just give me a call. My phone numbers on the mantle so that shouldn’t be a problem. See ya!’ She grabbed her purse and dashed outside.

‘Hi, let me get this out of the way first. Wow, you look gorgeous!’ Manek gave her the while calla lilies he had bought for her.

‘Oh thank you. One minute, I’ll just put them in the vase. I’ll be out in a second.’ Kripa breathed in the scent of the flowers and sighed against the door.

‘He’s so sweet. But I’m not letting a guy come to my place like this. A girl has to be cautious. You never know. But wow, I love these lilies.’ She arranged the flowers in a vase and went outside.

They went to Cucina Italiana, the new Italian restaurant. ‘Isn’t this place just gorgeous?’ Manek said pulling out a chair for her.

‘Thanks, yeah, it’s beautiful. I love their décor. It looks like we are in Italy. I love the feel of the old walls and the bougainvillea hanging on the trellis. Oh I know, it resembles an agora. This is beautiful. Thanks, Manek,’ Kripa smiled at him.

‘No problem at all. Would you like to have something to drink? Some wine? Champagne?’

‘Yeah, sure. I’d love a Cabernet.’

‘The lady would like a Cabernet.’ Manek told the waiter. The waiter discreetly poured some wine in their glasses and left them so that they could make their selection.

The evening passed very quickly. Kripa couldn’t remember a time that she had enjoyed so much. Conversation flowed easily. They talked about everything from their past to what they hoped to do in the future. She had to keep reminding herself not to dream too much. She still didn’t know him that well.

Kripa excused herself and went to the restroom. She closed the door and leaned against it with a grin. She couldn’t help it and she shot her hand in the air and said, ‘yes!’ She couldn’t believe her luck. He was so attentive and courteous. He was even polite to the waiter. You could always tell how a man was by how he treated the waiter.

Kripa went to the mirror and refreshed her lipstick. She knew she had to look her best. She remembered that her purse was still in the bathroom stall. She went to collect it when she heard some voices.

‘Did you see that bastard, Manek?’ a tear-filled voice said.

‘Yeah, I wonder which poor girl he was with now. He’ll ruin her life just as he has ruined so many women’s lives. What  a sick bastard! Do you think we should warn her?’ another female voice asked.

‘I don’t know. It’s none of our business. What if she doesn’t mind having a loser like Manek?’

‘I think we should tell his tricks to that woman. He ruined your life but you were courageous enough to rebuild it. What if the other woman can’t take it?’ Hearing this, Kripa’s heart hammered. What had Manek done?

‘It was partially my fault. I slept with him when he told me how much he loved me. I should have waited till I got a ring on my finger. As soon as he was done sleeping with me, he told me it was all a game. Then he told everyone that I had seduced him. But I’m glad he broke my heart. How else would I have met Ketan who is the most sincere guy ever?’

‘You are lucky that way. Even knowing your past, he accepted you as you are. That’s how a real man should be. Men have skeletons in their closets as well. They should accept women with baggage as well,’ her friend said.

‘How do we tell her though? If we go in front of that chameleon, he’ll tell that woman lies and turn her against us. I think we’ll just have to let it be and hope that the other woman sees him through his mask.’ As the voices faded away, Kripa got out of the restroom and went towards their table. She didn’t know what to do or what to think. Manek’s back was turned to her and she saw that he was on the phone.

‘Yeah, she’s totally bought it. I can’t believe that paying attention to a few details can make such a difference. Be nice to the waiter, act like a gentleman. Uh huh, I think I’m going to get lucky tonight. Why else would I spend so much time and money on a woman? She sure was a hard one. But now she’s in. Yo, I’ll call you back. I’ll call you after and give you details.’ Manek shut his phone with a smirk.

Kripa just stood behind him in shock. He wined and dined her so that he could bed her? That bastard. She kept herself calm. She would not create a scene. She would not create a scene, she reminded herself. Scenes are bad. Scenes are awful. Didn’t she always hate it when people created a scene? Anger coursed through her veins and her heart pounded, she would not create a scene.

Kripa marched up in front of him and grabbed her wine glass. She tossed the wine on his face. ‘You bastard! What do you think I am? You put up this act so that you can get me in bed?’ At Manek’s shocked face, she gave a dry laugh.

‘Yeah, I’ve heard everything. You’re the cheapest person I know. Don’t ever think about playing any other girl this way again or I’ll chop your balls into such tiny pieces, that you’ll regret all your actions for the rest of your life. Freak!’ she shouted and left the restaurant in a huff.

She called for a cab and went to her house. She let the nurse go and threw a tantrum at her house.

‘What does he think of himself? What a sick, sick man.’

Zaib was still in the living room and she went to him to continue the tirade. ‘Zaib, I’ll never trust another man again for as long as I live. The evening started out so perfectly. All I could think was what a sweetheart that bastard was. Then I went to the restroom and overheard some stuff. I wasn’t sure what to think of it. I went to the table and heard him say that all he wanted to do was get into my pants. That bastard!’

She cooled down a little bit. ‘You’re a nice guy Zaib, you always listen to me.’

The doorbell rang. Thinking it was Aaliya who wanted to hear all the details about the date, she opened the door without looking in the peephole.

Manek strode in livid. ‘Well well, you’re going to chop my balls, are you? We’ll see about that.’

He grabbed her and shut the door with a bang. Kripa felt herself going backwards and fear rose in her throat. ‘That’s the invalid you’re housing?’ he asked glancing at Zaib.

Kripa tried shoving him but his arms were like that of steel. ‘Manek, leave me or I’m going to kill you!’ she all but shouted in fear.

‘Kripa, this is to teach you a lesson. Never ever mess with Manek.’ With that, he tore the sleeve of her dress and Kripa struggled against him.

‘Manek, leave me alone. Leave me,’ she heard herself sobbing as he pushed her to the couch.

He smirked, ‘I just wanted to show you who’s boss over here. You threatened to chop my balls. Let me use those now. Let’s see how you get around to that particular task.’

Kripa felt his lips on her throat and she shuddered with disgust and terror. She would not be raped, she would not be raped! She tried kneeing him on his groin but she had no room. She couldn’t feel herself crying and begging him to let her go. She didn’t feel herself calling for Zaib either.

No comments:

Post a Comment