Thursday, March 1, 2012

FF: A Blue Moon Ago - Chapter 17


Kripa saw her eyes fill and she replied, 'Of course you can call me Dadi. Even I have no one who calls me Dadi. Your mother's a very lucky woman to have you as her son, who is she?' 


Kunal laughed innocently. 'Dadi, my mother is standing right behind me!' He was feeling exhilarated as his family was getting completed. He had met his Aunt Aaliya, Dad Angad and now Dadi Naina. His life was just taking a perfect turn. Now it was up to him to make his mother realize the same thing. 



Naina's gaze passed Kunal and rested on Kripa. She looked pleased. 'So you're his mother. I was wondering how children were allowed to get into patients' wards. Seeing you, I am no longer curious. Obviously, he's a doctor's son. No, let me correct that, he's Dr. Kripa's son, how can he be questioned as to where he is going?' listening to her comment, the trio burst into laughter. 'I was wondering who could have such a sweet son; you being his mother explains it all.' 



Kripa smiled and became sad. She never got to know this woman. It would have been so pleasurable to have such a mother-in-law. She so obviously adored Kunal and she did seem to like Kripa too. Kripa tried to tell herself that there was no time for regrets. She wondered why it was becoming so difficult for her to convince herself otherwise. Angad's return to her life was creating more havoc than she had ever imagined. Was it worth it? 



Kripa walked to Naina's bedside and checked on her. She was recovering very quickly which was good news. It saddened her to think of the limited time that Kunal had remained with her. They talked for a little while after which Kripa dragged Kunal outside since it was time to go back home. 



She pulled his ear and dragged him to her cabin. 'You spoilt brat, how many times have I told you not to go to the patients' wards without my permission?' 



'Ow, ow. Mama, leave me. If I have to be a good doctor someday, I need to develop conversation skills with my patients right? Ow, mama it's hurting. Sorry, I won't do that again.' Kripa laughed at Kunal's state because she knew that his was an empty promise. The day Kunal stopped going to the patients' rooms would be the day pigs would fly. 



Kripa went to Mishti's cabin to say bye when she saw Prithvi and her talking and looking at each other which suggested that they were in love. 



'Oh, now I see what is going on behind my back. How could you cheat on me Prithvi? And that too with my best friend? I didn't expect that from you! How could you? You actually cheated on me!' Kripa asked looking miserable but unable to hide her grin. 



At the same moment, Nishant and Kanan entered the cabin. 'Who's cheating on who?' asked a confused Kanan. 



Kunal giggled. 'Dr. Prithvi's cheating on Dr. Kripa.' That made Kanan and Nishant even more puzzled. Just what exactly was going on? 



Seeing their dazed faces, Kripa burst into laughter. 'You guys, I just caught Mishti and Prithvi red-handed. They're dating and didn't even let us know! Can you believe that? They didn't let their best friends and siblings know! How rude!' Mishti was blushing at the time this little speech was delivered by Kripa. Prithvi also looked a bit embarrassed. 



'This Kripa can't even keep a single thing in her stomach.' Prithvi commented. Kripa got into hysterics listening to this. Everything was just so hilarious! For some reason, Angad's face came in front of her and she sobered up quickly. Everyone was surprised by the sudden change in her mood. She said her byes to everyone quickly and left with Kunal. She couldn't understand why she was thinking of him at the oddest of times. She was having so much fun, so why did his face come to haunt her? 



Gayatri was waiting for the mother and son pair when the duo reached home. She went to Kunal and grabbed his ear just as Kripa had done earlier. 'Ow, ow, Nani. Now what have I done to you? It seems like both my favorite ladies want to kill me today. Ow, Nani, that hurts. Leave my ear.' Kunal shrieked like a child of half his age. 



Gayatri clucked her tongue, 'You didn't even tell me that you were going to the hospital. If something would have happened to you, what would we do? Do you think before doing things?' Gayatri had been worried sick ever since she had discovered that Kunal was missing. She was just about to call Kripa when they arrived. Gayatri left his ear and pulled him tight towards her. 



'Oh, I'm sorry Nani. I think I forgot. Oh, I have to tell you something! I met Dadi today! I'm so excited! Can you believe it? She's so nice.' As an afterthought, he said, 'Of course not nicer than you!' 



Gayatri and Kripa laughed. He sure knew how to get out of sticky situations. I need to take lessons from my son, Kripa thought. 



The trio had a nice, simple dinner filled with conversation and laughter. This was the best time the three had. Simply being together and having a good time spoke volumes, according to Gayatri. Gayatri went to bed early as she was exhausted from the day's activities. 



Kripa and Kunal lingered downstairs after dinner with black forest cake. The chocolate cake with the wonderful icy, whipped cream with strawberries always made Kripa's and Kunal's mouth water. There was always room for dessert, right? 



They sat on the loveseats talking and laughing when suddenly Kunal remembered the conversation he had with his grandmother today. He looked at Kripa, 'Mama, you know today Dadi and I were talking and she asked me a very interesting question. Why do I have two names when everyone else in the Indian culture has one name? Why am I Kunal Pratik Sharma?' 



'Well, it's because Angad wanted to name you Pratik. He really liked the name. As for Kunal, I really like that name, so I wanted you to have both the names we liked. And I also named you Pratik because I wanted you to feel close to your father. I wanted you to have that connection even if you did not know about him then.' 



Kunal smiled. He liked that explanation. In fact, he really liked that explanation. He loved having two names. It meant both his parents loved him, even is his father did not know of his existence. 



Meanwhile, Kripa was thinking of how Angad and her were discussing baby names. 



***********Flashback*********** 



They were in the garden. It was the perfect weather, the perfect garden and the perfect life. Angad was lying in Kripa's lap and they were talking. They could talk about anything. This was one of the reasons why they had felt they could go on till forever. 



'Kripa, do you like kids?' Angad was in a mood of teasing Kripa and at the same time was serious with his question. 



'Of course I love kids. Who doesn't like kids? Some day I hope to have kids.' Kripa said with a dreamy expression. Angad laughed at her innocence. 



'I was hoping you would say that. You know how many kids I want? I think we should have four kids; two girls and two boys. I don't want any of them to feel left out. I will love them so much and spoil them. They will be the soul of my life.' Angad sighed. How had he become such a romantic? 



'Oh really? What about me then? You just want kids, you'll forget me. I can't believe I'm not in your list of important people. You always mention Aali, your mom and now the kids. Do I even fit the bill?' she proceeded to fold her hands and express her mock sadness. 



'I don't need to put you in any list because you are the list. How can I ever forget you? You're the number one for me.' He smiled and looked at her pouted face which in no time became the widest smile. She bent and gave him a quick peck on the cheek she was caressing before. 'You know what I'll name the first kid? If it's a boy, I'll name him Pratik who will be the symbol of our love. If it's a girl, I'll name her Sneha for our love. So basically, it will just be love.' 



***********End of Flashback*********** 



Although Kunal was the product of their love, why was there so much distance between the two once-upon-a-time lovebirds? They were so much in love, what went wrong? Kripa asked herself for the umpteenth time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment