Thursday, March 1, 2012

FF: A Blue Moon Ago - Chapter 4


Chapter 4 


Kripa smiled at his enthusiasm, leaned forwards and kissed him happy birthday 'Kripa, we'll see you tomorrow alright? We're meeting for dinner at Haveli's so make sure you're there by 8 o'clock and don't be late like last time!' Mishti warned. 



Kripa laughed, 'It wasn't my fault! Scold Kunal right here. He changed his shirt ten times before we actually got there. He's gone on his..' Kripa's voice faltered. She was not about to say that. She was horrified. How could she even mention him? The man she had promised not to take the name of or even mention anywhere was right here between them. She groaned internally. What had she done? Would Kunal realize what she was about to say? Would the others react to that? This was the first time in ten years that his name was about to slip from her lips. 



Four pairs of eyes were watching her. Although accidentally, she was still about to mention Kunal's father. They just whispered goodnight and left Kripa and Kunal. Good thing Kunal had not realized what his mother was about to say. 



Kripa tucked Kunal in bed and kissed him goodnight. She went to her room and stood in the balcony with the moonlight streaming on her face. She smiled. 

***********Flashback*********** 

'What are you doing in my balcony? What if mama sees this? Go! I'll be into huge trouble! Please don't give me any trouble!' 


'Kripa, say you love me. I haven't heard that all day. I'm not leaving until you say that,' he interrupted when she was about to protest. 



'OK fine. I love you. Happy?' 



'You'll just say it like that? Where's my kiss to accompany that?' Kripa pushed him out and said, 'No kiss today, just leave!' 



He cheekily kissed on her cheeks and jumped out from her balcony leaving a smiling Kripa behind. 

***********End of Flashback*********** 


That was another day, another time and another place. She had to learn how to live without him. Anyone would think that her being away from him for over ten years would have reduced the heartache, but it was just as strong; she still missed him. She went back to bed with his thoughts running in her mind. 



She awoke the next morning with a jerk wondering why her alarm hadn't rung yet. She looked at the clock beside her bed and gasped. It was nine-thirty in the morning! The Kripa who never woke after six-thirty was waking up at nine-thirty! She was late. Oh God, she was late for work! She suddenly remembered and smiled. Today was her day off. She was spending the day with her baby. 



She got ready and walked downstairs looking for Kunal. He was seated glued to the television watching something with grave interest. She looked at what he was watching and muffled a scream. On the television was him. Her Angad. 'Oh my God!' she thought, 'How can he be on television? Why him? Why now?' The heartache she was feeling was increasing. His face in front of her eyes after a decade nearly made her want to weep. She watched him answering the interviewer with mild interest. 



'So Mr. Khanna. You are launching a new perfume called Betrayal. Would you like to tell the viewers why you have named the perfume that?' asked the interviewer with admiration in her eyes for this man. 



'Certainly. But I believe that this name is self-explanatory. There is betrayal everywhere. So I thought betrayal would be a perfect name for this since my perfume will go everywhere too. Does that answer your question?' 



'Oh yes, thank you very much.' She looked very flustered with his answer. What was it with this man that she wanted to throw her arms around him? Did he have any pain as to why he thought like that? Had there been any girl in his life that had betrayed him? She looked at the handsome man with the taut jaw and realized; this man would love only once and if was betrayed, he would hurt his very love the most. He would die from that too but he would ensure she suffered for breaking his trust. 



The questions continued and Kripa just stood behind Kunal watching Angad's face. It was still the same face that had brought her down to her knees a decade ago. It still held that power. Oh why did he have to come back now? Why did she have to torture herself by seeing that damned charming face? 



The interview finished and Kunal said with a sigh, 'Mama, I want to be like him when I grow up. Have you seen his personality? It is so much in check but you can see and hear so many things that he doesn't even say.' He suddenly grew excited. 'Mom, I have decided. I will be like him when I grow up. And this time I'm not going to change my role model,' he supplied when he saw Kripa's raised brow. 'I know every time I have a new role model but mama, I think he's the best person I have ever seen!' 



Kripa just looked at her son. He didn't even know he wanted to be like his own father. He didn't even know he was watching and admiring his own father. The father of her son. Her only lover. Kripa ruffled his hair and said, 'Yes Kunal Pratik Sharma. You be like him.' She had named him Pratik too because Angad had loved that name. She wanted her son to feel some connection to his father. The father who did not even know that his son existed. She was in deep thought when the phone bell brought Kripa out of her trance. 



'Hello,' she said. Anyone would think nothing was wrong with her because her voice was so composed. He'd have known better. 



'Hey Kripa. How's my darling friend doing? Before you kill me let me just say it, happy birthday sweetheart!' 



Josh. Her best friend in the whole wide world. The only person who knew what she had done to her life and had been there for her when she needed a friend the most. He was in the same university that Kripa and Angad went to and was Angad's best friend at that time. 'Thank you Josh. You finally got time to call me! Aaliya gave you permission for that?' 



Josh smiled, 'You don't have to bring her in the conversation all the time. I think I do it often enough.' He heard her laughter and cheered up. At least he could do something to put her in a better mood. He sobered up as he thought of the task that lay ahead. 'Kripa, I told Aaliya everything.' 



She stiffened. He did not just say that. He just had told Angad's sister everything. He had just told the one girl who hated her everything. 'Josh, why did you do that? How could you do that? What will I do now? Have you even thought of Kunal?' 



'Kripa, she promised she won't say a word to Angad. Please don't be upset. I thought she had a right to know. You were best friends once. And she asked if she could come meet you and her nephew.' 



Kripa choked back a sob at that. Aaliya's nephew. 'Yes. But you should have consulted me first.'



'Would you have let me told then?' He continued as she didn't speak. 'I didn't think so. Don't worry Kripa; it's all going to be fine.' 



Kripa couldn't decide at the end whether this was one of the happiest or one of the saddest birthdays she was going to celebrate. What she didn't know was that this birthday would change her life again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment